Beef Stew (American)
Adapted from https://feelgoodfoodie.net/recipe/beef-stew/#wprm-recipe-container-21870
- 2lbs beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 T flour
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t pepper
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup tomato paste (or 1/2 can)
- 1 lb potatoes, peeled + cubed
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 3 celery sticks, sliced
- 2 t dried thyme
- 1 t dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 c beef broth
- 1/4 c fresh parsely (garnish)
- Season the beef with salt and pepper in a large bowl. Sprinkle the flour on top and toss well to combine.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or pot over medium heat. Brown the beef on all sides, stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes
- Add the onions and garlic, and saute until lightly browned and fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and continue to cook with the onions and garlic, about 1-2 more minutes.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, thyme and basil along with the broth and stir to combine, scraping any brown bits in the pot.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the beef is tender, 60-90 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves, season with fresh parsley and serve warm.